Friday, 24 March 2017

Bossy Boots Bookclub March Edition!!!

   Kicking off Bossy Boots Bookclub with two great books.

  
  
The Girl of Ink and Stars by Kiran Millwood Hargrave. I liked this a lot. The imagery, maps and use of myth really connected with me. I liked also in my copy the pages were illustrated. I liked the main character a lot, and the people along the way. It's a good book, I would definitely recommend this.


   Dietland by Sarai Walker. This book has stayed with me long after I finished reading it. There is a lot of anger and violence in this book, and it is a strange and interesting world that is created. Mainly though I fell in love with Alicia Plum. This book treats fat people with respect and deals with fatness in a complex way. I liked how this book is divided in parts with different names, this is shared with the first book funnily enough. I was surprised by how this book unfolds. As I said it has stayed with me well after I finished it, so would definitely recommend reading it.  

   I am so glad that I've read both of these books. These books are so different, it was an odd experience going from one so vastly different world to the other. I got used to it and I begin to like it.

   An adjustment to the schedule. My library has only one copy of Fruit of the Lemon by Andrea Levy, and I am the second person in line to request it. I am just not going to get the copy in enough time, so there is a change of plans.

   New order:
 
   April:



  Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye.

  I have written about my deep love of Jane Eyre in all it's versions, this as far as I can see is set in the same time period. I am intrigued by the murder aspect so I am looking forward to this.



   A Spy in the House by Y. S. Lee.

  I have no real idea other than it's about lady spies in Victorian England what this book is going to be, and I am here for that.

   May is going to be what I've already picked and the Levy book (so three in total). Feel free to only pick one, I am being ambitious but I really do want to read Andrea Levy and it's only because of the reservation issue that it's not on the table for April. Happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment