Friday, 30 June 2017

Bossy Boots Bookclub: June Edition!

   It's that time again for Bookclub! 

   Bellwether by Connie Willis


   The only other book that I have read by Willis is Crosstalk (which I would recommend too). Bellwether made me think about how science is created and it is really funny. I liked how passionate the heroine is of libraries. It does a nice job of poking fun at the bureaucracy of institutions. It made me laugh out loud, so I would definitely recommend it. Plus if you like audiobooks I read this on audio and the narrator was Kate Reading who was great. 

   Ten New Poets Ed. Bernadine Evaristo and Daljit Nagra

 
   I don't read enough poetry. This collection is a good selection, what I like about it is reading about different perspectives. In the foreword Evaristo talked about how the poetry published is 2% by people of colour in the UK. It is a shocking statistic that I hope is changing. This book highlights that the talent is there, so poetry publishers look for the poets who are not like you. 

   My favourite of the poets was Shazea Quraishi, her word choice really appealed to me. Poetry I have found is so much subjective than any other art. Still there is room for so many different ways to write poetry. It surprises me more than any other written art form, and spoken word is just as appealing.

   It also helps that this is a really short taste of each poet. You can dip in and out. I am glad that I picked this for bookclub.

   So next month will be Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland and Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi. They will be posted on the last Friday of next month, the 28th of July. I have already gotten the books out of the library so I am excited! 

No comments:

Post a Comment