Friday, 28 July 2017

Bossy Boots Bookclub: July Edition!

   So it's bookclub time again!

   
   Lost for Words by Stephanie Butlnad. 

   
   I liked this a lot. The setting and the characters are well drawn. I love a book set in a bookshop, but there is a sadness that pervades the book. I don't want to give anything away but this maybe wasn't the best book to be reading along with Homegoing. 

   Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi


   This is a good book. I liked how the chapters follow the characters down the generations. I thought the framework and her writing were really good. It's a book people will be talking about years down the line. It did make me sad but there is a line of humanity in the book that makes it special.

   Racism and slavery never leave each person you read, it shapes every single generation. That is something that I felt keenly reading this. Not a fun read by any means but I am very glad I read it. 

   Next month! The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai and A Beginner's Guide to Acting English by Shappi Khorsandi, I am excited for both. To be posted about on the last Friday of August which is the 25th of August. Happy reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment